Tuesday, June 20, 2006

VBS Lessons

I just got done with my second day volunteering at VBS. I love doing it, but working with 5 year olds definitely has its ups and downs.(Up- It's only for three hours, Down- 3 hours with five year olds is a VERY long time) Over these last two days I have learned a few things that will help when dealing with kids.

~GET PUPPETS~ You will try every tactic to get them to listen and be quiet but none will work. Not the quiet game, the "One, Two, Three, eyes on me!", or the "put a marshmallow in your mouth" game. But no worries...when the (monotone unexperienced and boring) puppets come into play every one of their little mouths will shut and their eyes will be glued to the stage. Not that I'm bitter or anything, but seriously...you can see the hand coming out of the puppet's neck. They don't even know how to move their mouths with the words. Nevertheless, puppets work.
~GET CREATIVE~ When you discover the quiet game doesn't work and the puppets aren't available, think outside the box. It might not be easy but there is always a way to make the little varmints hush.
Example- Today our class made it early to music while another class was still in session. So we had an entire 4 minutes to keep them quiet. I know you're thinking there is no way to keep 17 five year olds quiet for that long. With no puppets on hand, props go to Adam Baird. This creative fellow crammed them all into a closet. Now this wasn't an ordinary closet-It was the "Invisible Secret Room"...meaning to keep it "secret", everyone had to be still and quiet. It worked very well besides a couple kids yelling they were scared. But hey, you can't make them all happy.
~ENUNCIATE CLEARLY~ It is very important that the children understand exactly what you are saying.
Example- Today during story I was telling a boy named Dylan to be be quiet because he was distracting all the kids and no one was listening. When I said "Dylan"(pronounced Die-Lan) another boy heard "Kings Island". He then screamed to where I am pretty sure the whole church could hear about how he had been there and what he had done there. The rest of the class excitedly joined in with him about their experiences there. Looking back the class was focused more before I tried to help.
Example- When I took the girls to the bathroom today, one couldn't figure out how to unlock the stall. I tried to explain to her to move the knob to the left but obviously not all 5 year olds know their left and right. So lucky me got to climb under the door and unlock it for her. (And yes, I washed my hands and arms.)
~DON'T THROW OBJECTS AT CHILDREN AND THEN LIE ABOUT DOING IT~ I know it seems harsh for a lot of you blog readers out there, but it probably isn't too great of an idea. From observing this in action, I've discovered it will only make the kids more wild and urge them to throw things themselves. It's a little confusing to them when:
A. They see a leader throw something
B. They watch as the leader then lies about throwing it at them
C. They in turn throw something back at the leader or at another child
D. They themselves lie about throwing it
E. They get in trouble by a leader
Maybe you don't agree with me and I'm crazy, but it's just a personal preference.

Make sure to bring this checklist with you next time your watching children!

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

that definitely explains a lot to me about your brothers' behavior after you've been watching them for me! feed the dog.

Anonymous said...

Why would you throw something at an innocent little kid and then lie about it? Goodness!

Anonymous said...

get a job

Nate said...

be a man, blog about syrup.

Anonymous said...

I know of a person who knew all the Bible stories before she was four so there wasn't anyway to keep her quiet and focused! Maybe you have a class of geniuses. Keep up the good WORK!

Anonymous said...

i recall being spanked for that little "know all the bible stories" remark and then being told to sit by the teacher and help her teach the story...which i did...and she needed the help

Anonymous said...

haha jordan.. those five year olds are crazy. Notice i haven't come back since monday. I think might be rethinking my future profession. Anyways i was told by your mother that you need to get a job...children's orchard is hiring but i'm sure she's already told you that. I think i'm going to be going back to that dreaded class tomorrow, and i've heard that you won't be there...

Anonymous said...

since as we speak you are babysitting for good friends of ours...i will refrain from letting them know you have a blog...children's orchard is hiring

Jordan said...

It's a possibility!! I might look into that. Thanks. haha.. and by the way Jennifer, I wasn't too depressed when I couldn't go these last 2 days so i def. know why you didn't come back!

Anonymous said...

Don't be hatin' on your big!!!

Anonymous said...

Wow Jordan, from my thoughts to your actions. I defenitly would have pegged a five year old with an inaminate object. Good work, it keeps life interesting!

Anonymous said...

Can we get a new post?? Please...

Anonymous said...

clean your room