Sunday, June 11, 2006

Florida Mission Trip 2006

I just got home from an amazing week in Jacksonville, Florida with Christian Singers. I had a lot of fun and at the same time learned a lot of things. It wasn't a very exciting beginning when, the first day we got there, were told that Jacksonville has the highest murder rate in America. But we all survived (barely). I'll just go over the highlights and things I learned over this trip:

5. Overdosing is drug-abuse. Yeah, not that I experienced this personally or anything but I would advise not mixing medicines or taking more than the correct amount. It's just bad. Hypothetically speaking, you might get a little high, get made fun of, jumble your words, be a little confused, or cut your own thumb with a knife. And trust me, NO ONE, not even your friends, will help you...they will only make it worse. Hypothetically speaking of course.

4.Even the best fall down sometimes. O.K... the girl who has played 6 ball games in 95 degree weather all in one day passed out... SINGING! No joke...it wasn't pretty. All together my friend Restrained her ankle, another friend had to go to the hospital for dehydration, and the food we were served....well made everyone a little sick. Scratch that, VERY sick. Haha, you can use your imagination with that one.

3.As believers, no matter how different we may be, when it comes down to it we are all a body. This trip I hung out with people that I never before really talked to or haven’t for years. I didn't become great friends or anything, but we all just talked as if we always did. I wish that it could be the same when we are home. I think if we all looked past this life we would always see that we are in this together and we can lean on each other in hard times.

2.WE REALLY DO TAKE FOR GRANTED HOW MUCH WE HAVE. These people had nothing. We saw prostitution, drug deals, beating, and many more horrible things. So many people are searching for Christ and we have Him. We just need to share Him.

1. What you think God's plan is for you isn't always the case. I went down there thinking I was going to lead multiple kids to Christ, when in fact I didn't lead one. I beat myself up for this for a while until I realized a seed is needed and has a large role in salvation. I made a relationship with a 17 year old girl that only needed to see Christ's love. She has had and is having a VERY hard life. I won't go into details but she was at the point of choosing between life and prostitution. After my friend Ashlee and I talked to her and her brother for about an hour she decided to come to worship with us. Here she said she has her first smile in days. I wanted to get the brownie points for winning someone to the Lord, when in reality just showing Christ and his love is just as rewarding. The way I wanted the things to work isn't how God wanted them to. We all need to remember that it's not all about us and it is for His glory, not ours.

Galatians 1:10- "Am I now trying to win the approval of men, or of God? Or am I trying to please men? If I were still trying to please men, I would not be a servant of Christ."

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well said!

Anonymous said...

glad ur home...get a job and clean your room

Anonymous said...

Please spend some of your boring time this summer with your more boring grandparents. Glad you had such a great time in Florida and are looking forward to slugfests the rest of the summer. By the way come clean our house.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the report on your week! I am sooo impressed with your perspective and how you share Christ's love with others. I know you will remember this trip for the rest of your life, even over trips to relaxing, exotic places. The times you sacrifice for others are the ones that stay with you the best!

Anonymous said...

Mini -
You make me so proud. You obviously take after your Biggie. LOL! You da bomb!

Anonymous said...

Jordan -

Wow ... I didnt even know you had a blog! Your subtitle is right, "The almost secret blog of Nathan Cornett's daughter". Not a secret anymore! Haha ...

Good post and summary of this past week. God did really work through each and every one of us this week. God will continue to work in these kid's lives and that is something to certainly be excited about!

Well, word is that you are at softball camp (?)... Have a great time!

Peace Out!

P.S. - The person in #5 on your post...who was that? Just curious..Haha

Anonymous said...

So I stumbled across your blog and it is not so much the content that grabbed me...but the pink on pink!! J/k, great post! Way to be obedient and Christ-like!

Jordan said...

adam--- i said twice it was hypothetically speaking! its no1......

--and clarify...who is this most handsome youth pastor in north america?? haha

Anonymous said...

empty the dishwasher

Anonymous said...

I'll do a little advertising!

www.adambaird.blogspot.com

Check it out!

Anonymous said...

hey gurl its ash, soo i love your blog its awesome i'm glad u had fun last night over @ my house, my mom said that i can have ppl over again when its nice outside, and trust me we will b dancing , b/c everyone wants too learn from the best well i was bored so thats y i wrote this love ya tonz