Monday, February 25, 2008

Passion D.C.!!

WOW. There is absolutely no other way to start a post about my weekend in D.C. WOW. God showed me some amazing things and I can’t help but share them. I don’t know how or where to start but I’m just going to jump right in!

I had a fuller picture of who God is this weekend than I have ever had in my life. It is funny how you can grow up in church your entire life and hear the same things a million times but suddenly after years of hearing it, it just…clicks. The most elementary truths were made so alive to me. God is our Dad…duh, right!? My three year old brother can tell you that. I knew that but this weekend I was closer to understanding how powerful that is than ever. In prayers, I call Him “Father” but I never really focused on how amazing that truly is. Before I pictured Him as a powerful God and in my mind I knew that the relationship was personal and he cared about every area of my life. I knew he came to die for my sins. I knew that I was the reason He had to die. I didn’t often look at Him as my FATHER though. My FATHER came to die for my sins. I was the reason my FATHER had to die. My FATHER cares about every area of my life…and my Father is GOD. Wow. So that is all obvious to you, I know…but it really hit me hard. When I mess up, which is constant, I don’t just stand before a condemning God anymore. I stand before a loving Dad. He is The Creator, The Healer, The Peacemaker, The King of Kings, The Lord of Lords, The Rock, The Redeemer, The Great Provider, The Strong Tower, The Holy One…and My Daddy. Before the words “the Father” didn’t mean “My Daddy.” It just was another way to say God. God, THE Father. My Father. Wow.

It made me realize just how forgiving He is. Duh, again. After this weekend I realize that he truly does forget my mistakes. I am God’s daughter…you are God’s child. As his children, He pours his love on us. I don’t know if you are with me, but so many times I ask for forgiveness for something, and I ask…and I ask…and I ask. This weekend I finally heard God scream “Give it up, Jordan! It’s forgiven. It’s gone! If you stop harping on your mistakes and start focusing on your decisions TODAY I can do so much more with you!”

This weekend I saw a bigger picture of God. What is so cool about it to me is that I didn’t just get “revived” like other retreats, I learned more. Being reminded and revived is necessary, but it is great to know I found something that isn’t going to fade. Yeah, the picture of My God, My Father…My forgiving Father may be hard to see sometimes, but I know now that He is all of those things…and I can’t forget it. It made my worship experience this weekend unlike any other. I felt like I got rid of the “baggage” that Francis Chan talked about. I saw my Dad and I could worship Him with the realization that no matter what I am His and I am forgiven. With that realization I could come before His throne and see Him. It was a piece of Heaven on earth. WOW!

Luke 11:11-13
11"Which of you fathers, if your son asks for a fish, will give him a snake instead? 12Or if he asks for an egg, will give him a scorpion? 13If you then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give the Holy Spirit to those who ask him!"

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you had such a great time! :)

There's a gorgeous song by Shaun Groves called "Abba Father" that talk about our relationship with God like you've been saying:

"Abba Father
My Defender
You are holy
And I surrender
For in my weakness
You protect me
and when my heart strays
You correct me

I Cry Abba Father
I love You Daddy
Abba Father I love You
I love You
Abba Father
I love You Daddy
Abba Father I love You
I love You Daddy"

It's beautiful and so true--you have to listen to it sometime.

"How great is the *love* the FATHER has lavished upon us, that we should be called the CHILDREN of God?!" --1 John 3:1

Anonymous said...

Ah yes! This weekend was amazing! No doubt. Simple truths that I sometimes tend to dull down were brought back to life with freshness and with a new emphasis. But the message rings constant: God is our Father. His creation demands glory to Him alone. All things are meant to magnify Him.

Yes, the music was amazing, but God glorifying as well. Yeah, the speakers brought it strong, but it too was God glorifying. --> Yet, it wasn't the speakers and the music that made Passion '08 so wonderful...it was that God was there. --> Even more, I realized that that same God that was there is still with me now, and He has been, and He will be. (Can you believe that?!)

He is crazy about us! We are His children...

(I know that this is a ridiculously long comment, but I can't hold refrain.)

Jordan, it excites me that you came away with so much this weekend. I hope and pray that everyone at Passion '08 was able to bring back as much as you did.

Anonymous said...

*Excuse my lack of grammar in the previous comment. I get so excited and I my typing skills slide...

Chelsea said...

I cant begin a blog entry at this point because you decided you would take yours to comment on alot of the same truths I descovered. but hey thats still awesome.

i can honestly say that the one comment "its like heaven." as radically changed my life. i am so blessed to be surrounded by you two girls to help me in my walk as i help others. you, jordan cornet, are more of an encouragement to me and one of the strongest girls i know. your love for Christ encourages me to strive forward on my hardest days. your love for God is amazing and at points even envious.

i am so glad i was able to share this weekend with my best friend, and more importantly my sister.

now we've got work to do. like we've decided it wasnt just a refreshment, it was knowledge. now it's time to be doers. hey, after all this was just a glimpse of what eternity is going to be like, let's make it count.

keep it up. don't ever forget these truths you have discovered and become a foolish galatian.

TaylorW said...

Colossians 2:6

more truth from D.C. ...