Thursday, January 17, 2008

Senioritis

I used to think it was just a term for the lazy...the kids that just made an excuse to quit trying in school. I have finally learned though that Senioritis is not a myth. It is a devastating illness that is unavoidable to many people.

How do I know this? First hand experience.

I have been sick before. Never though, have I been so miserable as this Senioritis is making me.
I want to do my work, yes…but my body won’t let me.
I want to go to school, yes…but my body won’t let me.
I want to prepare for my future, yes…but I just CAN’T.

Not only am I unable to do the things I so long for, but society just does not understand that this illness is genuine. I now pity those with ADD. I once criticized these people who claimed to have such an illness, but by experiencing a shunned sickness myself, I now can relate. Just because you are not infected, does not mean that it isn’t sincere. Sure, we may seem to be making an excuse just to get out of work, but we have no control.

For example, yesterday: I REALLY wanted to go to third hour. Really, I did. I was walking to class though when my feet suddenly began to go their own direction. With tears in my eyes, I watched my hand reach in my purse and grab my car keys. I screamed for it to stop, but this was no longer my decision. My mind yelled “pottery!” but by feet took me to my car. After fighting the effects of my illness, I was worn out. I just quit. Next thing I know, I’m sitting in a chair getting my hair trimmed. Devastating.

Below is a list of common questions an answers.

What do I do if I have senioritis?
Keep truckin’. After your senior year it will be gone hopefully. In a worst case scenario it won’t disappear and you may be living on the streets--but the government will help you out.

What do I do if I encounter someone with senioritis?
Keep your mouth shut. When you see a senior in the mall or getting a hair cut in the middle of the day, don’t point your finger or call their parents. Family members are the last people that will understand. Instead, offer a word of encouragement. Pat them on the back and let them know you are there. Offer to take them out to lunch the next time their illness attacks. You never know what your small act of kindness can do.

Is it contagious?
Yes, senioritis is contagious…but only to other seniors. If you are not a senior, don’t fret. This is a question I once received from a friend, Chelsea Ball (a fellow senioritis sufferer). Some seniors, like Chelsea may have a case of Severe Phenomanalpeermediation Senioritis. In such cases, headaches may be caught from anyone else in the room with a headache. Also, the word “drug” may cause an allergic reaction with swelling to the eyes. Severe Phenomanalpeermediation Senioritis Sufferers(try saying that five times) are HIGHLY contagious. It is important that all ages avoid these victims.


I hope that my readers can sympathize now with victims of this disease. Isn’t it enough that we are ill? Do we have to get criticized for our uncontrollable actions? We are already miserable. Please, don’t add to it.

30 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ms. Cornett,
Please stop by my office FIRST thing tomorrow morning!

Anonymous said...

man i sure hope it doesn't spread into lackofcaritus!

Anonymous said...

haha. this is a good post - sad, but true.

i just want to add one thing. those who suffer from Sever Phenomanalpeermediation Senioritis also have a tendency to fall down stairs, have headaches that are contagious, and yell or sing uncontrollably at any point. the more we know about this disease, the better we can fight it. thank you for taking time to go through your own experimental research for the benefit of the community and those around you...

queenhaiku said...

i hear one of the leading symptoms of lackofcaritus is the inability to locate one's keys!

Anonymous said...

I think one means of fighting the symptoms, not the disease, is to remove the car and its keys from the one suffering's possession.

It's time for an intervention.

Anonymous said...

It appears this disease is genetic and predisposed to those that attend Henry Clay High School. That's all I'm saying.

Chelsea said...

sounds like this Chelsea friend of yours is really ill. I am just so proud of you for taking her under your wings and helping her though these difficult times.

headaches....not cool, just not cool

Anonymous said...

I LOVE CHELSEA!

Jordan said...

I bet Chelsea's admirer coincidentally has the name "Chelsea"...

Chelsea said...

chelsea's admire doesnt have the name chelsea. i am in shock!!

queenhaiku said...

it is true that many Henry Clay alumni have suffered greatly...sometimes for multiple years! Lafayette students don't tend to suffer as severely since they aren't really learning at a very high level.

Anonymous said...

as it seems the learning level at LHS is not the highest it has been in years past; isnt that why it's fellow seniors have senioritus. you are just proving my pioint by your "rude" comment to the learning enviornment

TaylorW said...

I caught the disease (Senioritis) in the middle of September 2005. My symptoms have been on the decline since graduation, but I have a feeling that they will pick up again around 2010 here at UK...

Anonymous said...

I was saving myself for the next level, Queen.

Anonymous said...

just because you skip classes and have senioritis doesn't mean that you can skip posts too...

Chelsea said...

"my bad" admirer...i have updated and gotten back on the right track with my life

Anonymous said...

I came down with the disease in 1998...one year before I finally graduated in 1999 and felt the disease slowly leave my body. However, unfortunately, this disease is like mono--you always have it and it can randomly come up at any time that you are a senior. I had a flare up of my disease in 2003 and again in late 2006---so beware!!! I hope that I can avoid another flare up, but I am wondering if it can come back again when I become a "senior" citizen according to the government. Oh well, at least when you are a "senior" in the eyes of the government they discount your food, admission to particular events and movies, and give you an aarp card. I hear that eases the symptoms a little bit.

Anonymous said...

i forgot to add...apparently my office is a refuge for those suffering from senioritis. when you start feeling sick again, you can join your fellow sufferers. i'll pull up a chair for you.

Jordan said...

haha, kristy i think i may have to come to this "refuge" again...i need all the support i can get!

Jordan said...

haha, kristy i think i may have to come to this "refuge" again...i need all the support i can get!

Chelsea said...

nice to know that that's how you feel kristy!

Anonymous said...

clean your room

Anonymous said...

how's jen jen?

Anonymous said...

I've had senioritis since the 6th grade... is that a problem

Anonymous said...

Jordan, you are stinking hilarious!!!

I thought I had it bad last year when I was a senior, but not after reading that. I really really hated going to school and most of the time it was pointless for me to be there. I complained alot and didn't study much, but I only skipped like once or twice.

You are a bad student.

tisk tisk tisk...

Anonymous said...

i've been a senior at UK for like 4 years now...

Anonymous said...

oh yeah, clean your room.

queenhaiku said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Chelsea said...

so i came to the conclusion today...how is that we can blog for hours, but not write a paper.

And half the time our paapres r worse thEn oUr blOGs!

Anonymous said...

just because you are sick with senioritis doesn't mean that you ared excused from posting...